as we try to adjust to full-time life at home one of the biggest challenges has been finding healthy meals that are both filling and enjoyable for everyone. generally speaking we are each on our own for breakfast, we have a vegetarian lunch that can be a sort of open buffet (so that if the girls have online lessons at the same time they can eat earlier orator as necessary) and a dinner that has consists of meat or fish, salad and a strong veggie side dish.
today’s soup and sandwich lunch was a winner!
a tasty wintery lentil soup filled with healthy green lentils and tons of greens, homemade hummus with celery and carrot sticks, and open faced grilled cheese sandwiches- on sourdough bread for erim, asya and alegra and on our homemade gluten free bread for alara (recipe coming soon 🙂 )
the soup is super simple to make and tasty to boot… warm and cozy for such a terrible grey istanbul day — check out the recipe below and please send me a picture if you make it too!
- 1 cup green lentils- allow to soak in fresh water for 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic- finely chopped
- 1 medium onion- finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot- finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach, kale or other greens
- 1 small handful fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- heat spices in small pan for aroma-set aside
- in a medium sized pot heat olive oil-
- add garlic and onions- sauté until soft
- add carrots and allow to soften for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally
- add spices
- meanwhile drain lentils and add to vegetable mix
- cover with fresh water and bring to a boil
- add salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper as desired
- simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils and carrots are soft
- taste and season as necessary
- add greens, stir in until slightly wilted and serve immediately and enjoy!