sunday muffins…. gluten free and vegan lemon poppyseed…
i am happy to report that with the exception of not having any muffin tin liners left at home this recipe went off without a hitch! and, as an added bonus- just as i was contemplating prepping for the muffins one of my best buddies here in istanbul sent me a giant bag of lemons! it was fate.
i woke up early to bake these for our breakfast and it was so worth it. nearly sugar free, the lemony taste with the poppyseeds was just perfect and i savored my muffin with a fantastic cup of morning coffee.
it was early enough that i was moving a bit slowly, but i would say these muffins could be ready in one-hour tops. have your ingredients ready and a hot oven waiting, and you will be set.
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flax seed with 6 tbsp water- mix and set aside)
- ½ cup nut mylk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil-softened
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tbsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. (400f)
- line muffin tin with muffin liners or grease with coconut oil and sprinkle with almond flour
- mix together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, poppy seeds and lemon zest
- in a separate bowl mix flax eggs, lemon juice, coconut oil and nut mylk
- combine wet and dry ingredients and spoon into muffin tin
- cook for 20-25 minutes (mine were perfect at 22 minutes) and cool on baking rack
- serve warm with a good cup of coffee… enjoy!!!