spring is finally here!
yesterday we celebrated easter sunday with an afternoon egg hunt and leisurely family lunch of delicious springtime foods- lamb chops, asparagus, fresh corn and artichokes- one of my favorite vegetables!
grilling artichokes is actually very easy; we hadn’t tried it before, so we were pleasantly surprised to discover how simple it was. i have a feeling we will be making this dish quite often in the upcoming weeks…
- fresh artichokes complete with leaves
- 1/2 cup olice oil (plus a little more for grilling)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- crush red pepper, if desired
- prepare grill to medium heat
- we used a charcoal grill yesterday, but you can also use a grill pan
- in a large pot, heat water until boiling
- add artichokes and cook until slightly softened- about 15 minutes
- slice artichokes in half and brush olive oil on both sides
- place artichokes face down on center of grill
- cook for approximately 5-6 minutes
- you will notice that the artichokes seem to shrink- or wilt- once they are cooked; this means it is time to turn them
- cook leaf side of artichokes for 4-5 minutes more
- serve warm with dipping sauce
- mix together olive oil, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper using a strong blender (or whisk by hand if preferred)
ps: we also had a lot of questions about the delicious lemon meringue pie that alara made. it was our first attempt at lemon meringue so we used martha stewart’s recipe- it was delicious and i highly recommend it!
you can find the recipes here:
- martha’s lemon meringue pie-https://www.marthastewart.com/340995/lemon-meringue-pie
- for the lemon curd- https://www.marthastewart.com/340640/lemon-curd
- for the crust-https://www.marthastewart.com/1151756/perfect-pie-crust
- our pie crust was gluten free- we used a gluten free flour mix we find here in turkey made by sinangil; but i have used bob’s red mill gluten free flour mix in america and it works perfectly too.