nothing says summer like a fresh peach!
when i was a little girl we used to spend our summers in a tiny little apartment that was located right on the edge of the bosphorus in a small part of istanbul called cengelkoy. this was before the bosphorus waters became too polluted to swim in so we spent our days playing outside, jumping in and out of the water and using our small rowboat to go out fishing. it was a perfect way to spend the summer and i loved every minute of it!
while our house was small, we did have a large wrap around balcony- perfect for early morning breakfasts and afternoon tea times- and just above the balcony there was a peach tree that would bear fruit every july. we could literally pick peaches from the comfort of our own front door- with a quick rinse they were ready to eat and were some of the most delicious fruits i have ever tasted.
i still love a good peach and use fresh peaches in a number of ways- they are great with some crumbled cheese; delicious grilled; perfect for sangrias and a wonderful way to make summer muffins too!
alara kindly baked this week’s muffins as an afternoon activity and i enjoyed them thoroughly as a light breakfast. i added a bit of almond butter to mine for some extra am protein and of course, added a nice cup of coffee too. this recipe isn’t vegan but it is gluten free- and i enjoyed the addition of cornmeal as a nice change from the other muffins we made this summer.
try the recipe if you have the chance and let me know what you think 🍑 🍑🍑
- 3 fresh peaches
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buckwheat flour (or regular gluten free flour mix)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- large pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅓ cup organic yogurt
- preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a muffin tin with liners
- mix together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground ginger
- in a separate bowl beat butter and sugar until fluffy. add egg and vanilla extract and mix again.
- add the yogurt and a couple of scoops of flour mixture and stir
- stir in the remaining flour mixture until well combined
- fold in the peaches- this will help to thin the dough
- pour into muffin tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- remove from oven and allow muffins to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool fully
- store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days (if they last that long!!)
**recipe adapted from the desserted girl**