we are back in istanbul and thoroughly enjoying a short little break in the city. luckily for me, the weather is finally a little cooler and i have even felt a tiny bit chilly sitting in the garden in the evenings!
this week is a really, really big week for us- asya is getting ready to go to college for the first time! we have spent the weekend packing and planning and on tuesday, just two days from now, we will be on a flight to the u.s. to get her settled into georgetown!
sending a child off to school is a very funny thing.
I am simultaneously thrilled for her! i went to Georgetown and i loved it! the school, the city, the people- i am definitely biased but you really just couldn’t ask for more in a university.
but sending her off, as exciting as it is, is certainly also bittersweet.
asya is my first baby. i can’t believe how quickly she went from baby to young lady! a silver lining of the covid crisis is that we got to spend much more time with her this past year than we ever expected. for this i am truly grateful. asya is a sweet, kind, easy going person and her presence at home has been a real gift. not having her at home is going to take some real getting used to…
in the meantime though, we still have our sunday to enjoy- and these summery fresh breakfast muffins turned out to be a great way to enjoy the calm before the storm! as always, i had mine with a nice cup of hot coffee but i’ve been told they are delicious paired with an iced latte too!
- 2 cups organic almond flour
- 3 tbl chia seeds combined with 6 tbl water
- 2 tbl lemon juice
- 2 tbl coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- The zest of one lemon
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a muffin tin with muffin liners
- combine chia seeds and water and set aside
- mix lemon juice, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract
- add in chia seed combination and mix well
- in a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and ground ginger
- combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well
- fold in lemon zest and berries
- spoon into muffin tin
- bake for 22-24 minutes until tops are browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle come out clean
- cool fully on a cooling rack- store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days 🍋🍋🍋🍋🍋
**recipe adapted from nutritious minimalist**